Wakefield Trinity Wildcats 46-14 London Broncos

Hat trick hero Danny Kirmond

Hat trick hero Danny Kirmond

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats completely outclassed London Broncos 46-14 in a very one-sided match on Sunday afternoon at a packed Rapid Solicitors Stadium.

A hat trick of tries from Wildcats captain Danny Kirmond, aided by Lee Smith’s almost perfect kicking performance, gave Wakefield a much deserved victory.

It took just four minutes for the rout to begin, with winger Peter Fox going over in the corner after a superb team move by the West Yorkshire side. Poor defending by London then allowed full back Richie Mathers to waltz in to make it 12-0.

Wakefield, in total control by now, scored two more tries in a devastating five minute spell, with Kirmond scoring his first of the afternoon and then stand-off Paul Sykes ran in another to make it 24-0 after just 23 minutes.

The Broncos, fielding three debutants, could not get in the game and were defending woefully. Unsurprisingly, they soon allowed Kirmond his second of the game, with Lee Smith, having recently taken over kicking duties from Paul Sykes, adding the extras.

The Broncos finally made a breakthrough two minutes before half time, with winger Harry Colbon diving in to the corner in what was London’s first meaningful attack. However Shane Grady could not add the extras and the teams went in to half time with the home side leading 30-4.

The first half intensity that had been present had somewhat disappeared in the first 20 minutes of the second half, with Wakefield seemingly coasting to victory. However lively Broncos winger Keiran Dixon scored twice in a matter of six minutes, the second thanks to a wonderful run from Michael Robertson, to give the travelling faithful something to cheer.

This proved to be the turning point for Wakefield, and soon Kirmond had completed his hat trick in delightful style, piercing the London defence superbly. Wildcats then finished the game brilliantly, scoring two tries in three minutes from Frankie Mariano and Kyle Wood, respectively.

After the game, Wildcats head coach Richard Agar said about the first half: “It’s definitely a case of job done. The first-half performance set up the win nicely.”

Broncos head coach Tony Rea said: “Once we found some rhythm as a team I thought the guys really stood up for each other and worked their way through the game okay.”


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: